Bulimia Nervosa Treatment
What is Bulimia Nervosa?
Bulimia Nervosa, also referred to as Bulimia, has potentially fatal medical and psychological consequences for individuals that suffer from the condition. Typically they are caught in a cycle of eating large quantities of food, also called 'bingeing'. Thereafter they attempt to compensate for overeating by taking laxatives, vomiting and exercising excessively (purging cycle). Sufferers generally place a very strong emphasis on their body shape and weight.
The consequences of Bulimia Nervosa
Bulimia Nervosa has serious long-term physical consequences for the body as well limiting effects on one's social life. Some consequences of Bulimia Nervosa are a stretched stomach, damaged oesophagus and a notable shortage of vitamins and minerals. Aside from these physical consequences, individuals tend to isolate themselves, further heightening their tendencies to engage in this purging cycle.
What are the signs and symptoms of Bulimia Nervosa?
Individuals struggling with Bulimia Nervosa often appear to be of average weight, which make it difficult to identify sufferers. We've added a list of signs and symptoms commonly exhibited by individuals who suffer from the condition:
- Eating unusually large amounts of food in a relatively short period of time, also known as binge eating.
- Not being able to control one’s relationship with food and feeling out of control.
- Eating until uncomfortably full.
- Intentional induced vomiting after eating.
- Using the bathroom during or immediately after meals.
- Exercising vigorously and / or excessively to compensate for food eaten, despite fatigue, injury or illness.
- Abusing medications or substances such as laxatives, diuretics or diet pills after a binge episode in order to prevent weight gain.
- Feeling excessively preoccupied, anxious or sad about body weight and image.
- Struggling to fulfill responsibilities due to eating patterns, exercise habits or feelings about appearance.
About our Bulimia Nervosa Treatment
At Rise Treatment Centre we offer a residential clinical programme for Bulimia Nervosa treatment. Our programme is evidence-based and focuses on your overall health and well-being. We help you understand the root causes of your Bulimia Nervosa and combine psycho-education, mindfulness, group sessions, individual therapy and Family Therapy to guide you towards a sustainable recovery.
Plan a free online video consultation with one of our specialists
Please fill in the fields below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.